Sunday, April 27, 2008

A success Journey

It’s not that I am a very good dancer, but when it comes to rock n roll on any beat I don’t miss a chance. Although the situation was much different here, I thought let’s give it a try. I always reckon dancing is one of the ways to express happiness and excitement, but I never tried to tie it with any regular formation to make it an art, I never tried to make it any better. But I had to revise my concept of dancing.

We started with the very basic steps of one of the old Hindi songs. First day itself I realized that I was not the only one who had wrong definition of dance in mind but there were other boys too. On the other hand girls were really very good in dancing. It made me envy them. I remember how I laughed on Sunny Deol for he couldn’t dance. When it was difficult even to dance, girls were asking me for suggesting new moves. I didn’t know what to say; at last I suggested one move (on which I would have laughed like anything if someone else would have done it)

Everything was going quite well until we introduced a song ‘Mauja ni Mauja’. It was one of the very fast beat songs. We were struggling to make those slow moves proper and we came to know that we will be performing this fast beat. We were taught the moves and everybody did well, except me. I had a real problem remembering the steps. I tried to follow the steps done by the girl in front of me, but it made everything worse. Soon it was noticed by the choreographer that I am not only making the wrong moves but the moves I did not come under any of the dances. All of them tried to fix my moves, but I (unintentionally) turned all of them down. At last it was decided that I will be taught separately, as it seemed impossible to make me dance for that time. At last I took a video of all the moves performed by my friend and practiced it at my home.

I remember I used to wake up early for my exams, so I did for this dance practice. I first tried to remember the moves. I practiced it to at least six to eight times. On the last day, that is on the day of competition I was in position to pass as a dancer.

Before I went to dance on the stage I felt a new energy in me. I was wearing a black and very flashy shirt as my entire dance group was wearing. While we were going to the stage I saw people staring at us as we looked very different than any of the persons in the premises. I saw each of my group mates, now they looked much like me. They wore the same clothes and same expression as I had on my face. At last we performed on the stage. For my surprise I didn’t make much mistakes and the dance was over. We won the second prize for the dance. We could be sad for losing the first place but we preferred to be happy for the second place.

We came back to the place we practiced our dance. At last the event, which we were practicing for, was over. We could have chosen to go back to our homes to have sleep after such a hectic day, but we chose to return to the place we achieved our last dance. It wasn’t the event which made it special, not even the victory we had; it was the whole week we spend together to achieve the last performance. It wasn’t the destination; it was the journey we made, to come till the accomplishment of this event. I may not remember the last performance that I did on the stage, but I can’t forget the time I spent practicing it offstage.

It is true that success is not the destination but it is the journey.

1 comment:

Shantanu Dhankar said...

Pretty good post to start off with, but it doesn't have one thing I assosiate with your other writings, I see less of emotion and more of description.